Global Map of Human Impact on Marine Ecosystems.
- Nearly all the worlds Oceans are affected by human influence
- High levels of impact around developed countries due to fishing, nutrient run off and general waste pumping.
- The only areas with low impact are in the poles of the Earth
- Impacts on ocean communities are more concerning because the organisms are surrounded by the medium meaning it’s harder for them to escape
- Ocean productivity is concentrated in small areas of the world meaning that these small areas are especially susceptible to changes due to their small size
- As the CO2 concentrations increases the amount of carbon going into the oceans increases which has been suggested will affect the food chain and ecosystems
If you’re interested the paper can be found here